logo

Old Court History

Old Court History

The Old Court was built in 1863 by Alpheus Morse. Originally a rectory, it sits next to the historic Rhode Island Courthouse, which currently houses the Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission.

Italianate in design, the Old Court reflects early Victorian styles including the passion for ornate Italian mantlepieces, plaster mouldings, and twelve foot ceilings.